We can formulate glazes to harmoniously match a special colour you may need to match with your interior/exterior design needs.
- The colour can be mixed into a gloss or matt glaze
- The glossy glazes can either be low-fired earthenware or high-fired stoneware.
- Earthenware glazes can be compared to Majolica, Delft style glazes and is not suitable/recommended for the use in floors, bathrooms, pools, etc. Some earthenware effects can be imitated with the use of high-fired techniques - so please enquire.
- High-fired glazes can be used on both wall and floors, but depending on where you want to use the tiles, a matt glaze will be recommended for floors.
- Certain specialist applications, as for example, gold lustre work will only be suitable in low abrasive environments.
A Unique Shape
You can brief us on the required shape and size and if possible we shall produce a prototype.
Be so kind to brief us on the quantity and application - as these parameters may influence the production techniques used when producing bulk orders.
Shapes can vary from being organic, hexagonal, triangular, etc.
A Specific Profile
Design: We can design profiles with the use of DeskArt 3D Design software that will aid in the manufacturing of the final prototypes and product.
Mouldmaking: We produce our master, block and working moulds in-house with the use of several different mould making techniques.
Design In Relief
Do you need a design, pattern or word in relief?
We can design and produce the product using different techniques - and the final solution will all depend on the order quantities.
Be so kind to specify if you intend to install the handmade tiles in floors, walls, showers, pools, fountains etc.
It is important that we know so that we can specify the best possible handmade solution.
- Will the installation be in a high traffic environment?
- Residential or commercial?
- Tiles with a very low porosity must be used in wet conditions.
- Mosaic application is best without backing mesh - myTile only use front/glaze contact lift-off tape applications.
Provide us with a brief and our artists and designers will create and develop the theme for you.
What you must keep in mind:
Style: The style in which you want us to depict your brief.
- Stylistically or realistic for example: The realistic renditions will cost more due to the substantial amount of labour and expertise needed and used in the production!
- Print, transfer and or hand painted, each with it's own advantages and limitations.
Transfer & Decal Requests
We often develop and use transfer and decal techniques for special enquiries.
- Words & Phrases
- Family Crests
- Specialist Colour Transfer
Custom & Geometric Patterns
We can design new original patterns for you or use old classics as inspiration to renew or refresh it!
Any traditional geometric pattern can be re-created and customized in the colours of your choice. Geometric and patterned designs can be con-temporized, deconstructed or totally re-designed providing either a complex matrix to pared back calm and elegant moodscapes. These tiles will add a touch of tradition and class to any space it inherits but at the same time flabbergasted the viewer with a new take on an old classic.
We could assist in the design and development of a unique surface texture.
The surface can be designed to be a rigid pattern, a once-of hand manipulated surface, coarse to smooth, polished to pitted, 3d, etc.
The client can specify an approximate size, but please note that we are limited to a maximum of approximately 450mm x 450mm due to various reasons.
Decorative Tile Panels and Art Murals
Art Murals and Tile Panels ranging from small to very large, covering whole façades are some examples by Southern Art Ceramics in the recent past.
First is to determine where the panel will be installed, which will guide us in choosing the clay used to create the tiles, with either a 2 dimensional or a 3 dimensional surface. The clay tile - forms the canvas onto which the artist then works.
Direct methods of hand painting, printing and any number of glazing techniques are used, and often several are layered to build up the desired effect. A lot of time is invested in creating these large art works.
Decorative bespoke panels for residential clients, and Art Panels, with the option of being beautifully framed in our limited edition custom made Bamboo Frames.
Ceramic murals have the advantage of installing art features on walls, floors, indoors or outdoors, cladding pools or ponds and in areas where other art would be damaged by the sun or the elements.
Working in collaboration with Michael Chandler and Lucie de Moyencourt we produced tiles, hand painted by them, then glazed and fired by us, for their project.
The Nandos West Street - Durban project saw us produce, hand paint and glaze fire the tiles for decorative murals, according to the artwork designed by Kim Longhurst working with EGG Design.
The Oyster Box Hotel's Sign and Floral Wall Panels at the Pool, hand made, hand painted and glazed Panels with stylized floral motifs with Jane du Rand.
Nandos Wall Cladding – large 3D 2 faceted ceramic tiles constructed using slab work and glazing with 2 custom mixed greens, with gold side panel trim.
3D Design and Prototypes
As we continually grow our ability to create new and innovative products we include 3D design and 3D printing of prototypes to our manufacturing processes. Making moulds off these prototypes for our ceramic production, is already a reality, and will benefit all aspects of our ranges.